Taking it as it comes...

Recently I met another mother, an acquaintance I dint really know well...and as it is with most mothers, we always end up talking about food and sleep habits of our infants. Which is exactly what we did. I believe I shocked the lady with my answer of , "Yes I give a little spicy food to my daughter and yes she is only a year and a half old." A belligerent nod later, the lady replied back with a "o my goodness" expression, saying "I don't give my baby chillies." A bit taken aback, I bit back my instant reply of "I don't give  chillies to  my daughter, " and simply said, "My daughter likes it hot, I guess!" and I walked away.

I walked away because I did not want an ugly confrontation. Did it matter what that lady thought about my style of parenting?Everyone has diverse views on how to bring up kids, some say give the bottle, others say breastfeed is the best. Some opine stop nursing your babies once they turn 1, but the United Nations policy says mothers should breastfeed babies up to 2 years. My mom says you have to introduce some spice to your baby else she wont know what spice tastes like, other mothers believe that spice should be introduced to kids only once they turn 2!

Heck the ball tosses around all around the park and parenting simply seems like a choosing the best possible and practical solution. It is all about what seems right for you and your child...at least that is what it seems to me.So here is what I did, I gave my daughter a lil bit of rice with some sambar just as a taste test...she loved it, she wanted more. So I introduced other veggies and everyday she discovered different tastes.

You take each situation and think of what will make sense and what will make your daughter happy and keep you at peace and accordingly you decide. So those tch tching and opinion spouting mothers can take a hike with their holier than thou attitude...because you see I have thrown that parenting guide book out of the window...

Comments

Popular Posts