Dealing with the terrible two syndrome

"Amma Aadya do...Amma No...No" that is my little cupcake's constant refrain every morning when she prefers to do everything herself never mind safety or for the mess that she might make. On the threshold of turning two, she has started showing all the classic signs of toddler-hood with her insistence on doing everything herself.  That of course means increased frustration towards attaining and earning her fledgling independence in all her activities, for her Amma it means digging deep into her patience reservoir and using everything that she can to attain some sense of control.

Every morning I walk the tightrope of either giving into some of her whims or staying firm. I realize that it maybe as difficult for her as it maybe for me. For instance imagine one day you wake up and realize that "I can do this..and this and this...but this lady standing before me just doesn't allow me to do it.." A revolt is just one way of reacting to such a situation which may take form of incessant whining, tantrums, saying "no" to anything and everything. Her increased vocabulary and communication skills has only aided her towards formulating accurately her emotions and wants. And even then if you say a resolute no to her her yearnings, then she is bound to want to break away from the old rules.

The logical part of my brain understands this and grasps all of this, but there is another part that screams inwardly at the mess every mealtime has become with her wanting to "mix", "make" and then "eat" her food. Or pick the books on her own, however heavy they might be to her or that she may trip over it. Or throw the toothbrush away, because "Amma Aadya no brush."And just when I am ready to give up and yell, she looks at me and says, "Aadya loves you!" Like a typical Amma I melt! Instantly. It is the first time that she has said those words. I keep telling my daughter Amma loves you, I love you...I never knew that one day she would say those words back at me and when she did, all my pent up irritation over her terrible two syndrome vanished..perhaps to prop up another day. Just for that one moment I am glad of her turning two...she understands so many things...including how to say "I love you!"

Comments

  1. It's a wonderful feeling. I love it when my 2 year old kisses me and says I laaabh you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Diptee, is'nt it the most beautiful feeling ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's loveliest... until they learn to blackmail you with it for everything they don't want to do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mlvk!

    Hmmm...I know..thats what I am scared of...!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine has reached a point where she howls and accuses me of 'you don't love me!' when she can't get her way... I was completely stunned the first couple of times! I mean, where in the world do they learnt that from!!! But now I've learnt to stay firm. So after she's done with her 10 mins of tantrum, we're back to being friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tantrums are difficult to quell sometimes when they are in the mood to not listen to any reason whatsoever! You just let them be and they come around, has worked for me:) or divert their attention to some other thing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts