Cyberamma soul sisters

 In the cookies of life, sisters are the chocolate chips.  ~Author Unknown

 Back in my Amma's time, most people never spoke of parenthood as a concept, like my Amma says, "We rarely spoke...I think we lived through it and experienced it. You people talk, type, talk and then type some more". Yes Amma I admit I have been giving a little more than necessary attention to my phone. You want to know why? Because I confess that it feels good to be part of a group. I am a groupie! Because all of a sudden, I find myself amongst different Ammahood related watsapp and online groups. Technology today I reckon has opened so many avenues for Ammas like me to articulate everything from our doubts to receiving instant feedback on ways to tackle terrible twos to fulfilling that feeling of wanting to connect with people going through the same phase of life. And these groups connects with diverse Ammas all dealing with different issues connected with Ammahood. 

These groups I suppose became an instant hit amongst women like me because it is an accessible and open  medium to connect with other mothers. Sometimes all that an Amma needs is resonance, reassurance and a feeling of not "being the only one out there in the unknown"! For most Ammas these watsapp / online groups makes one realize that you are not alone, that there are others dealing and going through similar phases in their lives. Sometimes all you need is for some pediatricians recommendations or some leads at organizing that themed birthday party for your little one. Or sometimes just to know how fellow Ammas got back to being their old selves after entering the uniquely beautiful world of Ammahood. These groups and the individuals within these groups have slowly emerged as cyber soul sisters and someone or the other will give you that pat on the back for that star shaped chappati you made for your little one or that word of advice for that colicky little one who has tested your patience to the limit! Sometimes the group becomes a fantastic outlet for that niggling doubt, or to get rid of some hidden guilt or simply to have a chat. So thanks Cyberamma Amma aka soul sisters...for all the listening and sound advice!

Comments

  1. I hear ya sister. Blogging for me is therapeutic! I am not on many groups, but when I hear from another angst-ridden mommy on my blog, I smile. Yes, it's because of what you said - that I am not alone in this. It somehow makes it better (wired human psychology)

    And your mum sounds a lot like mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Fellow Amma! Writing is tremendously therapeutic for me:) but whoa boy your blog is awesome and you have been at it for the last 5 years or so...Nice!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts