The Juggling Act...


I know how to do anything – I’m a Mom. ~ Roseanne Barr

She is a year old already. Time in retrospect flies at an unsteady pace, sometimes it makes its slow moves, patiently watching over us like an indulgent parent, at others it is like a thrashing of a furious wave over the Indian ocean! Being a parent has been pretty much the same...sometimes calming at other times trying. Even as my ever cautious daughter takes steps towards standing on her own two feet quite literally, I make my own steps towards letting her do things on her own..even as I am now finding my feet tread into uncharted territory...

This is something that has been happening for many years now, and it is nothing special except that when you are the person doing the juggling, you inherently feel the need to applaud the 'mothers juggling act' practiced all over the world by all working mothers. So this "work-work routine that begins at the ungodly hour of say 4am in the morning goes on non-stop till the late hours in the night after the dishes are done and the kids are in bed," is one juggling act that almost all working mothers and their 'understanding' spouses will empathize and identify. Everyday the world over, households remain stable because some woman in each household decides to wake up early and start the daily chores, without so much as a frown. And since I have joined work full time I too join this 'elite club'! I call this an 'elite club' simply because I realize the enormous efforts that go into getting that work-life balance. And it is not that we do not realize that everything cant be perfect so, we are ok with perhaps spending a little more time snuggling away with our kids, than perhaps putting those grimey curtains into the washing machine! A close friend asked me why do I subject myself to this drudgery...but I don't look at it that way, maybe it is because I am a new member to the 'working mother' club or maybe because I have chosen a relatively less demanding work, either ways I am looking at this as a challenge, something I want to try my hand at, my better half calls it "an experiment".

I do realize that being a juggler requires me to be equipped with tremendous strength and not just physical but I need to be prepared both mentally and emotionally as well...and so my juggling act has begun...one day at a time..

Comments

  1. Good Luck!! :) Just like all working and non working mothers, you'll be super successful! Perseverance is the most critical characteristic you can have right now :)
    Lalita

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts