No Kidding..Really?...Kids Not allowed!

Chances are that you wont know where Monroeville is or even be completely oblivious to a restaurant called Mcdain's...but these places have become famous for starting off a new trend of 'banning kids under age 6' at their restaurant. Famous for its beer battered chicken, the American restaurant Mcdain's move to ban toddlers from its restaurant brought forth a mixed bag of reactions from across the world. At first when I heard of it, I was alarmed, because as a new parent I believe we should be allowed everywhere with my kid in tow (as if it is my god given right!!), but when I sat back and thought about it, I was like, maybe it is not such a bad idea. After all not everyone wants a wailing, demanding tiny tot creating a ruckus in a place where they were looking for some good conversation, good food and some peace.
 
Of course the sleep deprived parents of such toddlers who with such a ban in place will feel like social pariahs, have different thoughts. There is a whole section of parents who believe that such a move to ban kids is uncalled for. Many felt offended, some decided that they would never set foot in such restaurants. Others believed that if such bans become common then their kids will never know how to behave in public places ensuring that they become obnoxious patrons later on. Few other parents are of the view that not all kids are rude or bothersome, then why should they suffer? Or why should their folks suffer? On a recent trip to Pondicherry, we had gone off for a walk by the sea promenade, after a long, exhausting walk with my lil daughter perched on my hip, we ventured into a nice looking resto-pub, where we were politely asked to leave because toddlers were not allowed into the pub. Miffed at first, I wanted to protest, but then when I saw that 80% of the patrons at the pub looked like singles having a good time, I grudingly agreed that it was a good move to put in such restrictions.
 
But I am amazed at the different aspects that are to the 'no kids allowed zone', from banning kids in the first class cabins (Malaysia Airlines), to having websites that advocate kids free vacations (leavethembehind.com) to having child free shopping hours at different supermarkets! . Kids are not something to be looked at with disdain, they are after all our future, and I am not saying this because I am a mother of one, but because I scarily see wafer thin tolerence levels. When did we create barriers that doesnt allow innocence to roam freely? It is a different thing to have some peace and quiet, it is a totally different issue to alienate kids from all places, after all people tend to forget that they were kids once
 
 

Comments

  1. There are still plenty of restaurants that will let kids in. So why worry. IF the restaurants dont want kids, they lose customers with tots...just simple as that. I guess they are trying to create a niche. My most fav exp at a restaurant with kids has been in India at Malaka Spice and the new Radisson restaurant where the wait staff actually took care of our tots that were running and goofing around while we ate with no worry in the world ;). I totally agree that the tolerance levels are going down, but at the end of the day, all of us pay for good food and a good time, so everyone is entitled to what they want when they are paying that kind of money right?

    As far as kid free vacations or parents night outs go, it is so common here. I know plenty of people who leave their kids with grandparents/friends and neighbours even!! I tried going out for a movie with the husband once leaving Arnav with a baby sitter. I dont think my husband or the baby sitter would ever want to go through that ever again!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts